Monday, April 26, 2010

Transitional Dressing

I need help with it. I really suck at this ‘in-between-seasons’ dressing. I either need it hot or cold. I’m fine at either extreme, but I don’t do well with this not hot enough for sandals, but not cold enough for sweaters weather. I’m just lost and looking very shabby during this period.

Last weekend I did the big closet switcheroo and ever since then, the weather has turned colder. It was such a thrill to pull all the summer clothes out, but it’s risky putting away all my boots and turtlenecks. Now for two weeks I’ll be dressing poorly. I’m not ready to leave the house at 6:30 AM in sandals, let alone a skirt and sandals. My boots are all gone and my shoe choices are slim. I swear shoes are always my biggest wardrobe challenge. First, there’s the problem of finding shoes that fit. But then there’s the challenge of picking the right shoe for the outfit and I’m just not very good at it. Maybe that’s because my wardrobe doesn’t include the right shoes. I got the dressy shoes and I got the totally casual shoes. It’s the in between shoes that I lack. Let’s say for example, you’re wearing casual pants (or jeans even) and you have a casual zippered hoodie on. It’s too cold for sandals. What should you wear on your feet? The outfit is too casual for dressy flats. Sneakers would dress you down even more. I’m looking for that appropriately casual, but not frumpy or overly sporty solution. I just don’t have a complete set of footwear choices in my closet.

Good example: For 10 years I’ve been looking for a super comfy shoe that I can wear traveling. Something that I can walk for miles in, but yet not look like a total dope walking around in a city in. I still haven’t found that shoe and it drives me nuts. If anybody out there knows of that one perfect pair of traveling shoes, please share.

I’m so ready for summer. Bring on the heat. At least I know how to dress for that.

1 comment:

tina said...

i was the exact same way with the weather and my wardrobe. i have been wearing sandals no matter what the temps. i have found that Dr. Scholls makes a great sandal that is sold at Bob's. very comfy and you can walk forever in them.
it has a contour soul and there is only one strap that goes across the top of your foot near your toes. the strap comes in white, black or leopard. i got the leopard because it goes with everything.