Thursday, February 21, 2008

I’m Well On My Way

To making the world’s ugliest scarf! I set a goal for myself for this year and that goal was to learn how to knit and make a scarf. I really can’t tell you why I set this goal. As if I don’t already have enough hobbies to keep me busy, not to mention a side business to run, and a book to typeset. With my current work-out schedule I barely have time to do anything at night anymore. I thought knitting might be a relaxing way to spend the last couple hours of the night . . . on the couch while I watch TV. Just the mere thought of sitting on the couch and watching TV while being completely unproductive is hard for me to swallow. I need to be doing SOMETHING. So I gave it a shot.

And to this point, well, it’s been a disaster. So far, I’ve been to three “Stitch and Bitch” sessions and Karlo pointed out that I have learned how to “bitch” quite well. This afternoon, as I walked into my third session, Karlo gave me a pointer, “Try to learn how to stitch this time.” Wise guy!

But I think I got it now. I successfully stitched 2 rows with ease. I’m still not really sure what I was doing so terribly wrong, but up until this afternoon, I hated knitting. Just looking at the yarn and the “sticks” made me tense and almost angry. Stupid yarn, stupid sticks, why is this so hard? But I took a deep breath and now I’m making peace with my yarn. Thank goodness I have a very patient knitting instructor. She really did save the day. I’m looking forward to taking my project home tonight and plugging along with my new and improved knitting fingers.

No comments: