Thursday, June 23, 2011

My New Co-workers Have Arrived


There has been rumors of this for over a year, but when I saw a big fence go up on the side of the barn here at the office, I had a sneaking suspicion that my dream was finally coming true. We were getting chickens!

This place is simply amazing. We started out a few years ago with community garden plots. I tried my hand at farming, but I was a miserable failure and simply relied on the pity of co-workers to share their veggies with me. But then things got even better. The owners decided to plow a huge area in the field and have the landscapers plant and maintain "company plants" that they would harvest all summer long and supply the employees with fresh veggies every day. What a treat.


Now this year the company plants have tripled. Every possible veggie is growing out in the fields, and not get veggies. This year we'll have pumpkins and there is a huge strawberry patch too. What could be better than that? Oh wait, chickens could be better than that!


On Monday, 20 new little coworkers have been added to the roster (ooops, I almost spelled that rooster!) We have a variety of colors and they are all so cute. Pretty soon, in addition to all the free organic veggies, we will also have totally fresh free-range eggs at our disposal. And aside from the egg benefit, I'm just excited to get to know the chickens. Lisa, and other friends that have chickens, swear they are like pets, each with their own personalities. I just hope they are not camera shy.


I have elected myself in charge of naming them and so far I have 17 cute (CAD/CAM-software-related) names:

Milly
Artsy
Woody
NURB
Alpha
Beta
Swarf
Flow
Cutlet
Swiss
Cammy
Caddy
Nugget
Filet
Leftover
Dynamica
Peck

I need three more. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

Ginger! How could you not choose Ginger? And then, inspired by two other famous hens: Henny and Lottie.

tina said...

Kentucky (as in fried chicken) how about Mamma and Vernon or Tolland which ever town your company is in.

Unknown said...

Ohh,Rocky and Ginger were my very first picks Lisa!! But sadly I'm trying to keep them semi-related to the software. It's hard to get the drift without knowing the software terms, but all the ones listed have something to do with Mastercam. "Cutlet" and "Filet" were the funniest ones. Nugget was a stretch. Oh my goodness, I just thought of another . . . Chip! I gotta add that one.