Sunday, August 10, 2008

Update on the Fish Front

My poor adorable Fred didn't even survive 24 hours. How sad. I had to flush him yesterday and what is a Ginger without a Fred? I was not only sad, but slightly ticked. Yes, I know that the pet stores offer a 24 hour guarantee on their fish, but it would cost me more in gas than the $3 cost of the fish to drive back to the pet store. Not to mention nearly 2 hours out of my day. So I resolved myself to the fact that I got ripped off and moved on.

But wait . . . Ginger looked different. She was very . . . lets say "puffy," when we got her. I took a picture when I first dropped her into the tank. I would say she looks down right pregnant. Wouldn't you?


And not too long after flushing Fred, I went back to check on my tank and low and behold, there are tiny little baby guppies swimming around. I could spot 4 of them all together. I just couldn't believe my eyes. I went from getting ripped off to having 4 bonus fish. Now I know the chances of any of them surviving are slim, seeing as the rest of those evil fish are trying to eat the babies. I wonder if there is something I can do to ensure their survival. I fear there's not and this story will also have an unhappy ending. Sometimes I wonder why I own fish. Seems to be one disappointment after another. Pray for my guppy babies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicole has Guppies and there is a "Nursery: you can buy that is like a fish net that sits on the edge of the inside of the tank that you keep the babies in until they are big enough to survive on their own. I found one at Walmart.