Monday, July 7, 2008

Reflections After the Big 4-0

I’ve been officially welcomed to the “40 club” and I’m not too happy about it. I think I’m still in a state of denial. You know how the saying goes, “You are only as old as you feel.” Now that I think about it, that can go both ways right now. On one hand I still feel very young. After all, half of my birthday presents involved Snoopy clothing! I guess I’ll always be young at heart! But at the same time, since the big turn, I’ve been exhausted and sore. What the heck is going on? Is it purely psychological? I did a short new workout on my birthday and I’m still sore! Very depressing.

But on a brighter note, I did have a very nice birthday. As planned, I did positively no work on the big day. Karlo treated me to a relaxing day of sightseeing, shopping and a fancy-pants dinner. We spent the day in Mystic and you can view some of the photos from the day here.

The party on Saturday was not as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, I was completely stressed about everything and the weather certainly didn’t help. But all in all, it seemed to be a success. Thanks in part to our very popular dumb waiter! Who know that would be such a big hit with the kids? My biggest and only regret is that I didn’t take any photos. I had the very best intentions of taking pictures of everything and making a fabulous movie to share. Well, I never even touched the camera and now I’m bummed that I can’t look back on the day.

I do want to thank everyone that came out and braved the dreary weather. I feel like we didn’t have nearly enough time to visit with everyone. That’s the worst part. I would also like to give a big shout out to Luke & Lisa for sticking around and making the clean-up a million times easier. I know I said we would never have another party, but I’m already changing my mind about that. Perhaps we’ll try this again next year and this time hope the picnic actually takes place outdoors.

No comments: