Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Oh Deer

Well, it appears that deer fly season has officially started – just yesterday as a matter of fact. Up until yesterday I was still going for hikes in the back yard with no bug spray. My best bug repellant is Karlo. All I needed to do was stand near him and all the bugs were attracted straight to him. He must be must tastier than me! But last night I took one quick dart out onto the grass with Peanut and I got attacked out there. If you're on the grass, you are fair game for those buggers. Can somebody please tell me why God invented deer flies? What good are they? What purpose do they serve? Do they eat other insects or is their sole purpose on this earth to annoy humans?

Please keep in mind that I used to live in Andover and my only previous experience with deer flies has been biking in Vermont. This is very new to me and for sure it will be new to you (if you are planning on visiting this weekend). I've been told that they won't come up to the house so staying on the driveway and deck should be safe. But if you are planning to venture to the grass, trails or pond, be prepared.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Are you kidding me? Deer flies are not an Eastford/Vermont thing. Luke and I were followed and harassed by deer flies all Sunday afternoon at our house. How could you not have noticed Deer Flies in Andover? Maybe they weren't allowed up in your sub-development.