Tuesday, July 22, 2008

You Know You’re a Hick When . . .

You spend the night country line dancing in somebody’s backyard barn, surrounded by farm animals, as your husband stays home to play with his chainsaw. Yup, that sums up my new life in the boonies. Last night I truly marveled at how it came to be that I’m dancing with a bunch of strangers in the coolest barn I ever saw. If you asked me two years ago if I could picture myself in that scene I would have thought you were nuts.

But the truth is, both Karlo and I are truly loving it. All weekend Karlo was eager to start harvesting wood for the winter. He’s been buying spray paint and scoping out dead trees all over our land. For some strange reason he finds great joy in chopping wood. And I really got a kick out of my line dancing party last night. The instructor of my spring class invited everyone over to her house. It was amazing. My first question was, “Is there any type of animal that you don’t own?” and the answer was “a cow.” Pretty much everything else was covered. I had a ball petting the horses and watching the llamas and goats run around. I still have a burning desire to own a goat, but perhaps I should just go and visit them when the urge strikes. I can’t even imagine the amount of work involved in living in the zoo they call home.

The long weekend was great. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures to document it. I even brought the camera on our bike ride (which was fabulous) but we never stopped pedaling to snap any shots. To recap: We met some new friends from Germany that live nearby and are excited to get to know them better. We went for a great motorcycle ride to our friend's farm for some blueberry picking. I think my skin is starting to turn blue from all the blueberries we’ve been eating. We had a couple of great kayak rides. We shopping and went out to dinner (big event for us). It was a busy and fun weekend. Next time I’ll take pictures.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Are you going to turn into a blueberry like Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?