Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Almost a Band-Aid Free Day


I have been struggling with my famous, terrible and painful "dots" for over 2 weeks now. CA Sue likes to call me "Dottie" or is it "Dotsie"? But it's no laughing matter. This is my third winter trying to live with this bizarre skin disorder. It effects just about everything I do. For instance, my biggest challenge of the day is taking a shower. I know this doesn't seem like a difficult task, but any task without wearing a band-aid is almost unbearable. I have to wash my hair with one hand, I can barely touch the buff-puff with my inflicted hand, and touching the towel sends me over the edge. I can't get out of that shower quick enough to dry off and put my security blanket back on (that would be my trusty band-aid).

Can you imagine the worst cavity in the world . . . open nerve endings, at the tip of your finger? Touching a cotton ball is painful. The first winter that these things sprouted on my fingers, I had so many on one hand that I lost most of the use of my right hand for weeks. This was when I had the biopsy to figure out what on earth these things where. Now that I know they are caused by the cold weather and my poor circulation, I am very careful to wear gloves all the time. Well, most all the time. Obviously I wasn't careful enough this year.

I ventured out today without my band aid . . . this was a big step for me. I felt so brave! But it wasn't long before I was at the medicine cabinet. I guess I forgot that I spend most of day typing. ooops. All I got to say is:

1) Thank God for Band-aids
2) I think it's time for me to move to Singapore to ensure that I'll never get another dot again. Living with them is hell.

3 comments:

lgaumond said...

Drink water. Drink more! Water makes everything better. That does suck, I'm sorry that you have to deal with those.

Unknown said...

Ok, you sound like my father, only his 'cure all' was eating more pasta. I could have a sprained ankle and Dad would tell me to "eat more pasta."

Anonymous said...

Now I think his cure all is eat dark chocolate and eat more fish