Saturday, February 24, 2007

De-purpleification

Yes, that's a new word. It's my blog and I can make up words if I want to . . .

So are you intrigued what I will talk about with that title? It seems our purple bedroom was a little too over-the-top for most common, unimaginative folks. Our real estate agent gave us the advice that we should probably tone it down. So we took the advice. Seeing as we finished the major project at my cousin's place, then finished Dad's kitchen, we found ourselves without a home improvement project . . . and we couldn't have THAT.

Last weekend we started the process of removing the purple. This was a multi-step process and it took us all week. First we repainted the very loud dark purple trim. We did the door trims in white and the chair railing in the same green as the baseboards. That was a hell project because it took tons of coats. Next was the ceiling. We returned it to the standard white. Then came the walls. That was a bit of a disaster. First I picked the wrong color and it was too light. I HATED it. But I took Lisa's advice and recycled some other old paint we had. That seemed to do the trick. Thanks Lisa!

So tell me . . . here's the old purple room.



And here's the new more boring room. Is this one better for the masses?




Now we are all ready. We had a showing this morning and I can't wait to see if this will make a difference.

1 comment:

lgaumond said...

I love it - really, it was worth the effort of the depurpleification. I think fewer men and uncreative women will be scared off by the new room. And I'm not just saying that because I suggested the color.