Monday, February 19, 2007

Goodbye 70s

After much arguing and arm twisting, I finally got my father to agree to let me redo his kitchen. I would like to redo his whole house, but I'm taking baby steps here. Maybe after the kitchen project, he will see the light and realize he should trust me!

My Dad has this crazy idea in his head that his house holds his memories. Memories of my mother, I assume, because he wants to keep everything exactly as it was when she was alive. But at this point, the house hasn't been updated in nearly 30 years. It's time to let go of the 70s and clean out that house!!! My father needs to realize that he will still have his memories (in his head and in his photos). The old nasty wallpaper doesn't hold the memories.




So I started in the kitchen. Here are a couple of pictures of the "before" kitchen with the tacky wallpaper and dingy yellow floor. Last weekend we ripped down the wallpaper (thank GOD) and I primed the walls. Even with the just the primer on the walls, it was an improvement. The next day I went back and added the pretty color to the wall. Dad was hesitant about the color (maybe too girly for him). But when it was all up, he admitted that he liked it.

Next we went and found a few pictures for the wall (with an Italian theme of course) and I was in my glory buying new window treatments and a tablecloth. This project came at the perfect time for me. I'm not supposed to shop and spend any of MY money . . . so I'm shopping and spending Dad's money instead :-)

And this weekend Karlo and I went back to Dad's, this time with his new floor. In just a few hours we had his shiny, new, CLEAN, floor installed and what a difference it made.




Now if he will just let me tackle the rest of the rooms . . . Maybe in time he will come around.

I hope you like it Dad!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the striped wall paper.

Anonymous said...

We went to Dad's yesterday and when I walked in the kitchen I thought i was in the wrong house..... It looks great you guys did a wonderful job. Iknow he loves it because he had to show us the new floor and pictures on the walls and told us about shopping and Ocean state Job lots for the pictures on the walls

Anonymous said...

Oh dear God, I can't believe the grammer errors in that last comment. I guess I need to proof read BEFORE I hit publish this comment. Sorry.....

Anonymous said...

O.k. I am way behind reading your blog! Mr. Romano, I like your new kitchen!!! ALthough in my mind, I'll always see the striped wall paper. I understand the memorie thing....Our kitchen on south st had the same wall paper for 20 years, I thought the grease on the paper was part of the design. LOL Does any one remember my orange kitchen?