Friday, February 9, 2007

Mind Bending

Last night we watched a fascinating documentary called “What the Bleep Do We Know?” I added this movie to our Netflix que a couple of months ago and found it curious that it came last night. For the past week I have been really making a conscious effort to be more positive. The past few weeks have been challenging, to say the least, and it seems we are in a cycle of getting more bad luck than good. I decided that all these negative dramas were caused by me constantly stressing and worrying about them. I need to just get them out of my mind and make room for positive things happening.

So on our drive to and from Maine (to deal with the latest major disaster in our lives) Karlo and I listened to a lecture from our favorite speaker, Dr. Dyer. I will surely blog about him more in the future . . . But this lecture made me remember the importance of positive thinking and how your thoughts can change your life. So I have been saying my affirmations every day. One of them was centered in my “dream collage” . . . “Positive energy surrounds me and all good things will come my way.” Now the movie last night was along this same line of thinking. But it was even more thought provoking and more mind bending.

In order to read on, I ask that you have an open mind and not think I’m a complete nut job . . . I Googled the name of the movie this morning and found all sorts of information about the movie. I’m going to copy bits and pieces here to give you an idea of what it’s all about. If you do have an open mind to the wonders of science and physics, I highly recommend you rent the movie!

So what did I learn last night? Everything "out there" is a projection of our mind's elaborate theater. If we can be addicted to heroin, we can be addicted to any emotion. Is stress an emotion? Because I seem to be addicted to that. Another scientist asserts: We know physiologically that nerve cells that fire together rewire together. If you practice something over and over, those nerve cells have a long-term relationship. In other words, if you get angry on a daily basis, you are literally re-wiring your neural net to the point of creating an "identity". The good news is that every time we interrupt the thought process that produces a chemical response in the body, they start breaking the long-term relationship.

So what does this have to do with the nature of reality? It comes back to choice. We create scenarios that meet our emotional needs. This is why many fall into the same type of relationships and dramas: there is a chemical addiction to them. What is thought of as "reality just happening to us" is really a result of consistent choices producing specific chemicals which result in specific emotions that have become a habit.

Contemplating a new way of thinking or seeing is tricky, however. A fascinating story that was demonstrated in the movie was that of Christopher Columbus visiting the people of South America. Because clipper ships were totally out of the realm of their reality, these people could not see the ships on the horizon. One day, the tribal shaman realized there were ripples coming towards shore. He knew that something must be causing those ripples...but what? Day after day he strained to see, until one day, he finally saw the ships approaching. His people couldn't see them, until he described to them what he saw. Because they trusted him, they could now see the ships with their own eyes.

This story illustrates the principle that we can only see in our brain what we're able to see. In fact, we only see what we believe is possible. Perhaps this explains why mystics can see angels and other realities: for them, believing is seeing. Biologically, the brain processes 400 billion bits of information per second, but is only aware of 2,000 bits at any one time-usually information about our environment, body, and time. Just what is the brain perceiving that we are not "seeing" or integrating?

This movie will make you contemplate an alternative perspective. It will offer ideas and theories for your consideration, making way for ideas you many never before considered possible.

6 comments:

lgaumond said...

I'm glad that this movie inspired you to think differently.

I thought of you yesterday when I was watching Oprah and they were talking about a movie called "The Secret" which is about the same idea.

If you think about the things that drive you nuts all the time or the things that keep you down, they will continue to keep you down. If you think about what you want, you will get want you want. You receive what you put out into the universe.

That's why I make myself stop thinking about the things that make me feel angry or awful. I don't let myself obsess about the bad things. If I don't think about them, I feel better and my mind is at peace and I am able to see a way around the things that get in my way.

I hope it helps you. Watch it over and over!

And yes, you are a stress addict.

Unknown said...

Interesting . . . I almost bought that book today!! "The Secret" It was the feature book in my book club - obviously because it was on Oprah yesterday. I didn't realize that. Ok, now I want that book too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula, I did tell you that I would write in your blog, and I am doing so. I guess the several glasses of wine has loosened my mind up a a bit. I apologize now for the typing errors, if I had only known in high school that word processing would prove more important than English literature. I read your latest comment and I'm not sure I can get my brain around the whole chemical thing. My gut wants to respond to you that you need to nourish your faith. Although I am no preacher and I am not sure what I mean by "faith". I view it as a place where I put things that I can't deal with or understand. I don't particularly know whether I am using the word exclusively in a religious context. I am such a "cafeteria catholic" that I doubt I am a poster child for catholicism. (Lord knows I have HUGE issues) I have found that the inner peace that I feel is due in part from having faith. Can I define it? No., but I feel it. I fell blessed for the days that I am given, and know that even my worst day is better than so many people's best day. I feel like I could leave this Earth tomorrow because of all the blessings I have received. Don't worry, I am in no rush to leave my children and husband, but I feel an inner peace that I a am thankful for all that I ahev done. On a side note, a good friend recommended a book that I think you may find interesting. I admit I have not finished yet, but I implicitly trust the recommender. The book is "Sacred Choices" by Christel Nani. Check it out. I am all over the map on my comments...clearly I was born to talk and not blog. I hope you find some peace Paula, I hate to hink that your worries are getting in the way of your happiness. A shout out to my grammar school friends! It was so wonderful to see all you Divas. You all look fabulous!!!! JoAnne, I owe you an email. Spyware attacked my computer and I lost all my email. I thought about you all the other day. My daughter is singing a song called "1985" by Bowling for Soup. It is played on Radio Disney over and over again. Talk about aging me. Here are the lyrics...."1985"
by Bowling for soup
[Originally by SR-71]

Woohoohoo
Woohoohoo

Debbie just hit the wall
She never had it all
One Prozac a day
Husbands a CPA
Her dreams went out the door
When she turned twenty four
Only been with one man
What happen to her plan?

She was gonna be an actress
She was gonna be a star
She was gonna shake her ass
On the hood of white snake’s car
Her yellow SUV is now the enemy
Looks at her average life
And nothing has been alright since

Bruce Springstien, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cuz she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

Woohoohoo
(1985)
Woohoohoo

She’s seen all the classics
She knows every line
Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink
Even Saint Elmo’s Fire
She rocked out to Wham
Not a big Limp Bizkit fan
Thought she’d get a hand
On a member of Duran Duran

Where’s the mini-skirt made of snake skin
And who’s the other guy that's singing in Van Halen
When did reality become T.V.
What ever happen to sitcoms, game shows
(on the radio was)

Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cuz she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

Woohoohoo

She hates time make it stop
When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this stop
Stop!
And bring back

Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cuz she's still preoccupied
With 1985

Woohoohoo

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV (woohoohoo)
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cuz she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

I will try to write more.....not sure when or why, but I guess that is why you blog. (side note....every time I say the name Carlo...Jacson thinks I am talking about your hubby..it is so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

O.K. here is a random thought. I am watching an NBC station and they just advertised that they are the first to bring us the news in HDTV.... Why do I need to watch the news in HDTV? someone remind me....Lastly...I just bought a double boiler. I can't help but think nothing says 39 like being excited over a double boiler!

Unknown said...

Wow, you go Reg!! You have just officially put all the other divas to shame. Apparently nobody else has figured out how to use the COMMENTS button! Come on girls, this is what I had intended.

Thanks Reg. That was awesome. And don't worry . . . I'm feeling more positive than ever before. My tragic days have slapped me into reality. It's all good again :-)

Karlo said...

The Universe is infinite. We humans have a real problem understanding infinite because everything else we know is finite. But then again, our thoughts have no boundaries . . . well not at first – when we are kids we have no problem playing cowboys and indians, astronauts or magicians, but as we get older we lose some of this magic. Just look at some real old, healthy people – notice that they are all happy, behaving like children or are into some activity with a passion and they are too busy to realize the passing of time.
Our lives are way too busy. It is very easy to fall into a day-to-day rat race and lose site of the important things. Realize that we are all made of the same things, the same force is responsible to grow all our fingernails. Every one of us is a miracle, this whole planet is a miracle, the whole Universe is a miracle – but all that we see and feel is just our brains’ interpretation of it. It is all in our head . . . which means that we can make it anything we want to . . . the possibilities are endless.
We need to look at each other and see, really see the miracle – I LOVE watching kids – they still have the magic, I want to learn from them. I had a priviledge to spend some time with Regina’s beatiful children – the questions they ask, or sometimes just the looks they give you are incredible – they have a way of opening a brand new window to possibilites.
I’m rambling on all over the place because my mind is racing and I can’t type fast enough to capture it. You will get a totally different picture of my thoughts than the ones I see, and this picture will depend on your experiences, your present mood, etc.
We try to clear our minds by meditating. There are waaay too many thoughts crowding the space between our ears . . . so we try to clear them. Where do you go when you meditate? I go to a peaceful tranquil place. Where did you just go when I mentioned a peaceful tranquil place?
That place for me is at 9000 feet altitude, in a silent flight. I am flying a hang glider over Ontarion, Canada. There is a commercial jet about 5000 feet below me on a landing approach to Hamilton International airport. The only sound I hear is the beeping of my variometer – the instrument is telling me that I’m climbing. The whole World is silent. I am circling in a thermal in a lazy arc about a half a mile wide. The horizon is changing as I’m slowly drifting towards Niagara Falls. I can alternately see the ‘Golden Horseshoe’ – Toronto, Lake Ontraio, Lake Erie . . . Canada and the USA. I am the closest to God as I have ever been.
I LOVE going back to that place and it is funny – I am able to enjoy it much more than when I was there . . . when I was there I also felt anxious and focused. I was very aware of my position over a narrow penisula. I was also looking for a suitable place to land soon not only because I was nearing the border, but also because I just entered the 4th hour of my flight, 2 of which where spent in a low altitude fight with turbulence. I was dehydared and a bit dizzy. There is none of that when I meditate. There is nothing to worry about. It is a tranquil and peaceful place – right next to God.