Thursday, May 10, 2007

I Better Get Used to This

I just got off the phone with CL&P. I had to call to switch the electricity bill for the new house over to our name for the end of July. Here’s how the conversation went . . .

I explained the reason for my call and the guy asked for the address of the house. I said “144 Kozey Rd . . . in Eastford.” I was going to add “Connecticut” to the end of my sentence, but I figured I was calling CL&P – which stands for CONNECTICUT Light & Power – so why would I be calling them if I didn’t live in CT? And what do you think the guy’s first question was, after I ended with “Eastford?” “Is that in CT?” Yes, of course it’s in CT!!!! OK it gets better from here.

Several seconds goes by and he says, “I don’t see a town called Eastford. It’s not coming up in my computer.” I got the feeling that he was questioning me if I’m SURE it’s in CT. Hello, shouldn’t I know where the house is? This was starting to get funny. He didn’t know what to do and was just trying to explain to me that the “computer can’t find Eastford.” He said "It's pretty bad when the computer can find it, isn't it?" I was thinking that most of our friends will have the same problem that his computer was having . . . .

We made sure he was spelling Eastford and Kozey properly . . . I sighed and asked if the zip code would help him . . . Finally he proclaims that there IS a town called Eastford and they do provide service there. What do you know? I could have told him that 5 minutes earlier. Too funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hopefully the next service person you deal with is smarter.

lgaumond said...

See, that's because they just got electricity there in Eastford YESTERDAY. Maybe next week they'll have cable. And who knows, maybe even running water.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the tax-collector gets totally unaware that we exist once we move!!!