Friday, May 11, 2007

Welcome to my Shopping World

Yesterday I got unexpectedly abandoned at work. Karlo had to make a work emergency run to the Boston area, taking my car and leaving me with no way to get home. A coworker offered to drive me to Hartford, but once I got there, all I could do was sit and stew . . . our other car is in the shop, I had nothing to do and no way of getting out of the house. I also couldn’t go to the (as Lisa called it) Saab Lovers Convention that we were scheduled to attend last night. I could see that the night was not shaking down to be very exciting . . .

Until Lisa offered to rescue me. She offered to take me shopping and then drive me back to Hartford – despite the fact that she lives in the total opposite direction (in Andover). I was thrilled. I went from being pathetically abandoned and alone to a shopping date with a girlfriend – yeah!!!

And the best part was that I got to introduce Lisa to my shopping hell. Yes, I know that nobody likes to hear me complain about trying to find clothes small enough. Yes, I am very grateful for my skinnyness. (is that a word? Well, it is now) However, shopping is hell. Every year about this time I get the urge for adorable sandals. Karlo takes me out shoe shopping and he runs around and picks out dozens of cute pairs for me to try. Inevitably, I walk out of the store empty handed and usually in tears. My stupid feet are too narrow to wear most of the sandals. My feet slide right through so my toes hang over the front. That is NOT attractive! Then there’s the high heel and throng between the toe problems, but we won’t get into that now.

Last night I was on the hunt for simple black shorts or even carpis. I wasn’t being picky. That shouldn’t have been too hard to find, right? Wrong! I couldn’t wait to show Lisa how hard it would be. She was determined to find me something and she put in a very good effort. Now, we were at Kohls and I have gone on rants before about Kohls. I was even compelled to write to them once and complain about their complete lack of small sizes in that store. Even tops and sweaters – they never seem to have smalls. Pants and skirts – forget about it. Once in a blue moon I find something in that store that fits me.

So we had to make the dreaded trip over the Junior’s department. It is so embarrassing for me to shop there. Much easier when I’m with my step daughter. Anyway, we couldn’t even find anything appropriate (in my size) there. So we headed back over to the Misses department where Lisa did manage to find a simple pair of black shorts in a size that sometimes fit me. So I tried them on and came out of the dressing room with 6 inches of fabric gathered into my fist, asking if my safety pin trick would work. Lisa then decided that I may be better off shopping in the BOYS department. How sad is that? I have a body of a BOY! No curves, no shape, no cute sandals :-(

Oh well, think of the money I saved! I bought sheets instead. Our bed will certainly be dressed better than I will be!

4 comments:

lgaumond said...

Trust me, I know it sucks to go shopping and not find anything that looks good on you and fits, but for ONCE I'd like to leave a store all sad saying "damn it, now I feel SKINNY. I feel like a bag of bones. I need to go have an ice cream cone".

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, I did go home and have ice cream. Maybe we should go back tonight. Maybe that helped.

You are a riot :-)

And thanks again for taking me out!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Forever 21? It is a junior store in the mall. We always joke how you go early before the teenagers get there so you aren't too embarrassed to shop among them. I have actually stopped going there becuase there stuff is so small that I have to buy a size bigger than I want to so there stuff will fit me.

Anonymous said...

Right, like I want to give you sympathy! Nancy oh sure and ice cream to add insult to injury!