Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Running Out of Excuses

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, Karlo and I have set May as the month to start doing all of our physical activities. I described our first day back in the gym and that was no picnic. We also took our first VERY short and very pathetic bike ride. We went for a lunch time ride last week. We set out with no water and no plan of where we were going to ride. All of our usual rides from work consists of hills, BIG hills, and I am just not ready for that torture. So went rode for about 30 minutes and during that time I couldn't breathe or swallow. As soon as I started to breathe hard, it felt like somebody was choking me. My stinkin' allergies just took over. I will have to find a way to exercise outdoors during the spring without all these respiratory problems. Between the allergies, the lack of water bottles, the old broken helmet and my new foot injury, I sure have found enough excuses to NOT ride. But that has to stop. My foot is getting better every day. I just found an old water bottle in my office. I'm going to buy some allergy medication. The Fed Ex guy just delivered this beauty to my office . . .


And now I can't wait to wear it. So not only are my excuses falling by the wayside, but I have to decide whether we are going to register for a bike tour by this Friday. Yikes, that is only 2 days away! I want to take a tour of the Finger Lakes in NY. Only problem is that the trip is 4 weeks away and I KNOW (from experience) that it is very hilly up there. It's a 2 day ride (50 miles per day). Hmmmm, I used to hear 50 miles and think "ah, that's nothing!!" I'm used to mileage over 70 per day. But now I'm totally out of biking shape and I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old. I feel like I need to train for 50 miles a day. Karlo says "It's just a bike ride." And he feels no need to prepare whatsoever. I think my butt, neck and leg muscles will have something to say about that.

I am inspired by what the president of the bike club wrote to me . . . He said at the bottom of his email to me . . . "You can do it. We can help." Maybe he works for Home Depot! But it did inspire me to Just Do It. So I think I'm gonna. Oh boy . . .

No comments: