Friday, August 24, 2007

I Hate Phones

It's final. I really hate phones. First it took us three incredibly frustrating weeks to get our 'land line' hooked up. During those three weeks I realized the need for one. Our cell phones, although they do work out here, are not reliable. The reception is very bad. On some days we have to stand outside. And 50% of the time the calls are dropped. So if I didn't already dislike talking on the phone, these issues just magnify it.

After the three weeks of wanting to choke everyone from Charter Communications that I had the displeasure of talking to, we finally got our home phone connected and I thought the aggravation would end . . . NOT. Now that we do have a land line, the phone rings every single night with telemarketers. My patience is wearing VERY thin and I swear I'm ready to disconnect the phone all together. Nobody ever calls us anyway. Now that we are long distance from the entire world, who besides telemarketers will ever call? Hmmmmm, I'm betting nobody. I'm trying to decide if it's really worth having the phone at all.

I guess the whole point of this blog posting is to warn you, in the remote chance that you may want to call us . . . Please leave us a message because I am flat out refusing to pick up that darn phone again. I just added our number to the Federal Do Not Call List, but I'm not holding my breathe that will actually work. Please leave us a message at home and then try my cell phone. One way or the other, I'll get back to you.

5 comments:

lgaumond said...

Did you add your number to the Do Not Call Registry like I told you to?????? Add it to the registry and actually ANSWER the phone. Tell the telemarketers that you want your name removed from their list and in a month or two, your phone will never ring. I swear. If you never answer the telemarketers, they will keep calling until you tell them not to. And one group sells their lists to another group who will keep calling you, too. They can't sell your number if you've asked to be removed from the call list.

Our phone may ring once a WEEK, if that, and that's because someone confirming a hair appointment or something like that.

Anonymous said...

When you call the Do Not Call Registry you will get more telemarketer calls to sell you services like the Do Not Call Registry, because the Do Not Call Registry sold your number to the highest bidders who in turn sold it to anyone interested, but that whole list was stolen by some hackers, who sold it to . . .

lgaumond said...

That's not true, Mr. Paranoia. You can do nothing and get telemarketing calls forever, or work a little bit for a month and be free of telemarketing calls forever (or until you change your phone number). If you do nothing to help yourselves, you're not allowed to complain about it.

Here's some inside info. I worked at a non-profit with a "telefunding" department. (A nice way of saying they called people to ask for donations.) The people (like YOU) who didn't answer their phones, had their information sheets put in the pile to call tomorrow (and the day after, and the day after...) The people (like ME) who answered the phone and asked never to be called again had their sheets removed from the call pile and had their records coded Do Not Call so that they would not have information sheets produced next year and therefore, would never be called again. This is how all telemarketing works.

And the Registry isn't a phone number, it's a website. DO IT!!

Anonymous said...

If by on off-chance I answer a phone I use Seinfeld's line: " Could you please give me your personal phone number, so I can call you back at my convenience, possibly your dinner time?"

I do ask telemarketers in an unmistacable way to never, under no circumsatnes call again, but that only stops the nice ones, the nasty ones keep calling.

Unknown said...

I think you guys missed this line in my blog posting: "I just added our number to the Federal Do Not Call List, but I'm not holding my breathe that will actually work. "