Saturday, August 4, 2007

My New and Improved Birthday Present


Yes, my birthday was a month ago, but I just got around to trying on the present that Karlo bought me. My present arrived in Eastford some time around my birthday, but by the time we got back from our trip and made our way out here to get it, it was nearly time to move. And then once the process of moving started, well my new bike shorts and jersey were the last things on my mind. But during one of my ‘sick days’ this week, I started organizing my clothes. I ran across the new stuff and at first I just threw them into the “bike clothes” box that lives under the bed. Just after I pushed the box back under the bed I thought “maybe I should try the darn things on.” Well, I’m glad I did!

I put the shorts on and I positively hated them. I thought long and hard as to what I should do about this dilemma. A couple of years ago Karlo got me leather chaps for motorcycling riding and I hated those too. I totally hurt his feelings when I sent them back and now I’m worrying that maybe he will just stop buying me things all together. I’m trying real hard to improve his purchase decisions, but apparently it’s not working.

I decided that it would be silly to just keep these shorts, knowing I would never wear them, because by the looks of them, I knew they were probably expensive. But I had no idea . . .

I asked Karlo to send me the receipt so I can contact the company and see if I could get a refund, despite the fact that so much time had passed. Well, when I saw the receipt I nearly fell off my chair and, lucky for Karlo, he was 20 miles away. I wanted to CHOKE him. Can you imagine spending $430 on a pair of bike shorts and one jersey???? As Lisa said, for that price they better have rocket boosters in them. And, in fact, the shorts were see-through and I didn’t like them at all. They weren’t even gel padding so they couldn’t possibly be as comfy as my $30 pair. What is going through Karlo’s mind when he decides this purchase is a good idea? I need to beat him over the head with a bat to make him understand that a high price tag doesn’t necessary make something ‘special.’ Especially when I never heard of the brand name and I already have dozens of biking outfits.

To my delight, and Karlo’s relief, the company said we could return them for credit. I still needed to cash in on a birthday gift so I spent HALF of Karlo’s credit and got a new flat screen TV for the bedroom. Karlo insists that shouldn’t be my present because we will both enjoy it. But I don’t care. I need the TV to help me sleep and I’m addicted to watching the weather in the morning. Karlo crafted an adorable little shelf for it and it's nicely hidden behind one of the posts. I love my new present! But I fear what will happen next July. Will somebody please coach Karlo on gift buying?

By the way, you can see the 'honeysuckle beige' wall color in the picture. I'm also happy to report that all the painting is done! Thank you Lisa for your help with the bathroom. It's such a relief to be able to put away all the painting supplies now. And I'm also happy to report that I love every color that I picked. An even bigger relief.

No comments: