Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wired For Sound

I’m so proud of myself that I just have to share . . . Last week I couldn’t stand looking at the huge box sitting on the floor containing our new surround sound speaker system. I knew that setting it up was one of Karlo’s lowest priorities. Plus he plain doesn’t like that sort of work so it would have been a frustrating ordeal for sure. Lisa was due to visit soon and I know it drives her insane to have no music playing in the house. So I decided to cut the box open and get a head start on the project by reading the directions (something Karlo would never break down and do).

Well, not only did I read the directions, I set the whole thing up all by myself! Back in Andover we spent an entire afternoon trying to figure out how to get both the DVDs and the regular TV to play out of the speaker system. And I single-handedly (OK, maybe I used both hands) got it all set up to play regular TV and movies through the speakers.

And I didn’t stop there . . . Last night I hooked up my new super high tech gadget that wirelessly streams the music from my computer’s hard drive to our surround system. Lisa came over for a visit last weekend and I did have music on for her. However, I could only play one CD at a time. What a drag. The CD would end and Lisa would start to twitch from the silence in the house. Who wants to keep switching CDs? So now I can magically play music for hours and hours right off of my computer. And get this, it even came with a remote control so I can sit on the couch and control what my computer is playing. You know, when technology actually works it’s not all bad!

My next task is to convert all my Police CDs to mp3s so we can listen to The Police non-stop. I bet Karlo can’t wait for THAT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was nice to listen to music during work . . . even if it ws Charlie Brown x-mas. The Police will be better. Now we have 5 remote controls to operate the equipment which blocks out the sound of the wildlife outside.
Silence is beautiful:-)

lgaumond said...

Silence is too quiet!

Yay that you have music now all over the house. I do sort of twitch when there's no music playing, don't I?

Read your manuals because you should be able to program your surround sound remote to control everything so you don't need all the remotes.

Unknown said...

Lisa, we are waiting for you to come back over to figure that out for us! I would like to think I'm an expert now, but I know my limits.

And too funny about the Xmas music. Poor Karlo. I come up from the basement and hear Christmas music playing - the same CD that I torture Karlo with for 2 months every year. He is so sick of Charlie Brown Christmas, I can't even tell you.