Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dream Collage vs Happiness Collage

Did anybody take my advice regarding making collages from magazines? Remember when I decided to cut out all the things that catch my eye in the magazines I get in the mail, paste them in a scrapbook, and then get rid of the darn magazine so as to not clutter up the house? No, you don't remember? Oh sure, if Oprah suggested it, everybody would be doing it! I'm gonna have to call Oprah . . .

I have suggested to several friends to make a Dream collage. Wait a minute, come to think of it, Oprah DID steal that idea of mine and did suggest it on one of her recent shows. Dream collages are great, but I can see where they can also be challenging. Two of my friends are struggling with them right now. Many people don't really know what their dreams are. You would not believe how many hits this blogs gets because people are typing "Bucket List ideas" into Google. Many people want big life dreams, but they don't know where to get the inspiration from. That's where I come in, I guess. I have enough dreams and inspiration to go around and share with everyone.

So back to my collages . . . The two friends struggling with the Dream collages are both finding it hard to find things that really inspire them to add to the collage. And I guess it feels like a big commitment to add something. But my new idea is more like a Happiness collage and it's much easier to do. I just flip through my magazines and cut out anything that I like. Sometimes it's pictures that make me smile (dogs, flowers), sometimes it's pictures that inspire (tough yoga poses that I want to achieve or beautiful nature scenes) and often it's words or phrases that speak to me. It's all very non-committal. A nice benefit is that I feel like I'm saving 'the good stuff' from the magazine, so I can easily pitch it afterwards. But the best part is looking back at a few month's worth of my creations. I love to flip back and see what inspired me in month's past. Every page is uplifting and makes me happy. And finally, the whole process of doing this is fun and relazing.

I’m telling you guys . . . You need to try this. And for those girls that come to my annual "Girls Day" party, you better start saving up some magazines because we're going to do this project together. Everybody will leave my party happy, dammit!

Here are my last three months of Happiness collages. You can click on them to bring up bigger images.



No comments: