Thursday, January 31, 2008

Peanut Needs a New Nickname


I don't think we should call her "Stinky" anymore. I am oh so happy to report that the little stinker had her teeth professionally cleaned yesterday. I have been waiting for this day for a year. The vet explained the process to us. First they would have to put her under anesthesia and that alone terrifies me because greyhounds are very special dogs when it comes to this process. If the vet is not experienced with the greyhound breed, they could easily kill them. Greyhounds need to be treated completely different than any other dog breed because of their unusual heart rate. I trusted that our doc knew what she was doing.

The vet also explained the procedure and the price tag. Everything was going to depend on the time it took to clean the teeth and how many teeth would need to be removed. Most dogs wake up with less teeth than they started with. Based on Peanut's horrendous dragon breathe and the look of her ugly teeth, I was convinced she would be returned to us completely toothless!

But the doctor called me only a couple hours after I dropped her off with a great report. The cleaning was done in record time and she didn't need any teeth extracted. This was amazing news. And the biggest miracle of all . . . The terrible breathe is gone! I just can't stop hugging her now. Little Miss Lovable can finally be cuddled and kissed without my gag reflex taking over. I am so excited.

And of course, Peanut was a trooper for the whole thing. She happily walks into the vet's office. Happily goes off with a stranger. Wakes up like nothing ever happened and bounces out of the office with her tail wagging. The doctor warned that she may be woozy and sick all night, but not Peanut. She went home and devoured her food and acted like it was any other day. She is one tough cookie.

1 comment:

Karlo said...

Her nickname hasn't changed from day one - just look at her, she is Trouble.