Monday, January 14, 2008

Snow Day




I declared today an official snow day and we stayed home. Living in the sticks does have some advantages. It gives you a good excuse to play hookie. Karlo is outside now working on snow removal and that should take at least another hour. By the time we would have gotten to work it would have been noon. Why bother at that point?

Besides, after the weekend we had we could use an extra day off. I must have spent a good 7+ hours painting over the past two days. And that doesn't include the prep time - which in this house is ungodly. At least 2 complete rolls of masking tape and more switch plate covers than you can imagine. I still don't know what half of our light switches control!

Thankfully Karlo helped me on Saturday. I flat out refused to paint the tallest portions of the wall. At one point I was as far as I was willing to go on the ladder and Karlo insisted that I look down at him . . . only he wasn't at the bottom of the ladder. He was standing in the kitchen as I was at the near peek of the roof. He HAD to make me look down. From that point on, I was too scared to go any higher. That should teach him to tease me. Now he got roped into the painting project.

You can see in this photo Karlo painting the tallest parts of the walls and you might also be able to see the color. I'm so pleased to report that I bought "tear free paint." It's not like tear-free shampoo in that it doesn't sting if you get it in your eyes. More like, it didn't make me cry like some paints that I have picked in the past. From the minute it went on the wall, I knew I made a good choice.


So I'm finally thrilled with the whole house. All the hallway walls upstairs and the foyer downstairs are now freshly painted. No more glaring white walls, or as I call them, blank canvases, crying out to me for some color. I can finally rest.
But seems Karlo never gets a chance to rest. When he wasn't helping me paint he was playing lumberjack, splitting three trailer loads of wood by hand with an axe. He wanted to harvest as much wood as he could before the big snowfall. After all that work, now's he working on clearing the snow. Thank goodness he has lots of energy. I'm getting tired just watching him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow looks beautiful!! We got about 1-2 inches in Rocky Hill, Boy did they blow that forecast. even Nicole said " we could have gone to school today" and she never wants to go to school if she doesn't have to. I drove my new car to work this morning and not a bit of trouble at 6:30 am. The roads were fine

Unknown said...

According to Karlo we got about 9-10 inches. All I know is that it was over my boots. I went out to take pictures and ended up with two boot-fulls of snow on my socks. And to think, I have snow shoes and didn't use them.