Monday, January 28, 2008

Zumba Report

I just got back from my first real Zumba class. Karlo was the first to ask me how it went and I wasn’t sure how to answer. I’m still not exactly sure how to sum it up. Let’s just say it didn’t go all that terribly well and maybe I was a bit disappointed.

My first and biggest problem was that I wore the wrong shoes. I opted for cute little fashion athletic shoes instead of sneakers. Yes, I looked good – but I was slipping all over the place as if I was wearing ballerina slippers on an ice rink. It was very distracting worrying about and trying desperately not to wipe out.

My second issue was the fact that the gym was packed and I arrived late and stood in the very back. OK, who am I kidding? Even if I was the first one there, I still would have stood in the back. Problem with that is that I couldn’t see the instructor. I, being the overly neurotic person that I am, was constantly wondering, “Did she start on the left foot or right? Am I doing this right?” etc. I couldn’t fully enjoy the experience.

And lastly, I also thought that the energy level wasn’t what I expected. The moves and dances seemed slower than my videos at home. Maybe this is because it was the first class and the instructor is going to build up. Maybe it’s because I just did the “power” DVD yesterday. Maybe it was MY energy level that was down. Not sure. I have a huge headache from the one glass of red wine I drank yesterday, stomach cramps, and I haven’t slept good in two days. Oh that’s another story . . .

On Saturday, I drank my first ever cup of coffee. I’m not sure what on Earth ever possessed me to do such a stupid thing. I made it through 39 years avoiding that evil poison. Why now, did I want to try a cup? Somebody told me that I may actually like Dunkin Donuts Vanilla coffee so out of curiosity I tried it. Dear Lord, it was terrible. I hated it. I couldn’t wait to get that awful taste out of my mouth. And that wasn’t the worst of it. I had this cup at 3 o’clock in the afternoon and was not able to sleep ONE WINK that night. I was up all night staring at the ceiling, cursing every coffee bean in Columbia. Without question, I will NEVER touch coffee again as long as I live.

And to finalize my Zumba story, I am going to continue to go to classes and do the videos at home. I’m sure the classes will improve and I’m loving every minute of my private classes. Please don’t take my first class experience as a sign not to try.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

You have to be kidding me... you NEVER had coffee before??? Grampa used to put it in his cereal in teh morning - he used to put it in MY cereal in the morning!

And WHAT IN THE HELL IS ZUMBA? For a second I thought you were into some strange religion or something :).

A few pictures, perhaps a link to what this "dance" what, huh? eh? think is would be helpful for your readers... remember, when writing, answer the 5 w's: who, what, where, when and WTF???

Karlo said...

It is a new religion . . . it is one of them anyway.

Unknown said...

My cousin is not a faithful reader - seeing as this is my second Zumba posting (The first included a link to the official Zumba site!) and my husband is crazy.

Jamie said...

I get it - you like it because the guy on that website eerily sounds like Karlo!

It all makes sense now!

I need to go move back and forth in my chair to work my "abs" now :). This is called "Chumba" which is an offshoot of my old band "Chum and the Oily Fish Bits"...

The one workout that really burns is when you take the Chum (aka Oily Fish Bits) and throw it into the water - helps build the upper body BIG TIME!