Thursday, January 24, 2008

Today a Ball of Yarn . . .


Maybe someday, in the very distant future, a scarf. Today, Lisa asked me how my knitting was going and I realized that I meant to blog about this and forgot. One of my goals for 2008 was to learn how to knit. I’m not sure why. It’s not like I don’t already have enough hobbies to keep me busy, but I guess I just wanted to learn a new thing. So last week I attended my first “Stitch & Bitch” and quickly learned why it’s called that. I did my share of complaining. I was TERRIBLE at knitting. I am simply stunned at how awkward and unnatural it is to hold, and try to maneuver, those (as I like to call them) sticks. For whatever reason I can not get it through my head that the sticks are called needles. I guess I just can’t call a blunt object a “needle.” If it doesn’t draw blood upon hitting my skin, it’s not a needle.

I will continue to struggle with this ball of yarn once every other week and maybe, with some determination, and a prayer, I will end up with a scarf. Still seems much easier to just go out and buy a scarf in every color, but I’m keeping an open mind. Others sure do make knitting look fun and relaxing. I can’t even find the right adjective for how I made it look – besides impossible. Wish me luck in this endeavor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do not despair, Paula!
Everyone feels this way when they begin. Were you able to ride a bike the very first time you tried? For gosh sake, knitting is like trying to learn how read, write, and hold a pencil...all at the same time! Allow yourself a little time and a little more practice. If you do, I'm positive you'll be knitting with the best of them.

Wendy

lgaumond said...

I felt like my hands were on backwards and I was missing some fingers when I first learned to knit. Try this website, it was recommended to me when I wanted to learn how to knit cables.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

It's filled with videos from your point of view, as if the person doing the video is wearing the camera around her neck. You can watch over and over with your needles ("sticks") in hand. It's quite helpful.

Keep trying, it'll start to feel familiar and soon you'll love it. You'll be knitting Bentley a sweater soon.

Anonymous said...

Knittinghelp.com is a wonderful website. I can't tell you how many times I've gone there. It's especially good when it's 2AM, you're in trouble, and you'd like to keep those friends of yours who know how to knit.

PS. You don't have to wait for the next S & B. Feel free to come down to the office. I've also got some great books you can borrow. Sometimes you need to "read", "see", and "try" before you "get".

-Wendy